Here are some random notes from my interview with Joelle Russo, Nordstrom’s Regional Beauty Director.
- I am always looking for good concealers and there’s a new line (from New Zealand, of all places) that I am going to sample asap. It’s called Miracle Skin Reformer and Joelle said it melds skin care, a touch of color and an SPF. I tried the concealer under my eyes and on some hyperpigmentation and was really impressed. You only need a teensy bit and it gives great coverage without settling in the creases. It’s even hydrating so you can treat and conceal at the same time. There’s a larger tube containing Miracle Skin Transformer Body with SPF 20. It’s a terrific leg makeup, perfect for Hawaii when you don’t want to wear hosiery but you want your legs to lose the unevenness, spots and veins.
- Essential Makeup Brushes. Although it’s nice to have the perfect makeup brush for every application, that can get rather pricey. Joelle said there are five basic must-haves:
- Foundation brush because it gives a more flawless finish than fingers or sponges and uses up less product.
- Powder brush because even a tiny pouf of powder can set your makeup and help it last all day without shine. Powder puffs can be guilty of depositing too much powder, creating a cakey look.
- Blush brush; her fave is the Nars Wisteria brush because it works for blush, contour and highlight and is really easy to use.
- Brush to place eye shadow over the entire eyelid.
- Brush that can get into the crease of the eye to create depth.
- Remember to clean your brushes at least once a week. M.A.C. has makeup cleanser wipes that make the job easy but every so often they will need a thorough cleansing with brush soap or shampoo.
- Here’s a list of some of Joelle’s faves. She tries absolutely everything that comes in to Nordstrom so she’s quite knowledgeable about the brands and what they do best.
- Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, which just came out in a compact form for easy sponge or finger application.
- Miracle Skin Reformer concealer.
- Cream blushes by Bobbi Brown (she applies them under AND over powder).
- Nars “Orgasm” blush, which seems to be on many lists of faves because it works on a multitude of skin tones. “It makes skin look alive and awake,” Joelle said.
- M.A.C. “Spice” lip liner, which works with many different shades of lipstick.
- Touche Eclat by YSL for concealing, priming lips and patting on the corner of the eyes as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up.
- Clarisonic facial cleansing system, which is high on my list as well. It’s an investment that will definitely pay off with better skin. There’s a new version with three speeds that charges through a USB drive so you can travel with it. You can choose the brush that meets your specific needs of the moment.
I’m a great believer in trying everything before buying it. Ask for samples – always. Whether it’s makeup, skin care or fragrance, ask for a sample. With skin care, be sure to try it for several days or a week to make sure it isn’t going to make you break out.
I learned something else new: Nordstrom has two beauty stylists in the Ala Moana store who do not work for any specific brand. They study every brand and can help you find exactly what’s right for you. It’s best to call and make an appointment to ensure you receive undivided attention. Phone: 953-6100.
– Paula Rath