March 5th, 2012 / posted by paularath

HI all of you dedicated readers of Paula Rath’ s blog.  I am Jerry Mayfield, Paula’s husband, and am writing to let you know that over the next week or two you will not be receiving Paula’s tome, but she will be back!  She asked me to tell you she sustained a fracture of her cervical spine (“broken neck”)  two and one half days ago in a fall with some initial paralysis which has markedly improved since surgery and with therapy.  She is now able to sit up in a chair and walk and her prognosis to return to normal is excellent.  Her attitude and spirit about the whole episode is very up beat and she can’t wait to get back to writing.

We both wish to thank all of those who have so readily and efficiently responded to this incident, the fire department and para-medics who responded immediately to my 911 call at 2:30 Friday a.m., the emergency room doctor and staff who initially cared for her at Straub Hospital and the superb nursing staff in the ICU South at Straub.  We are especially thankful for the excellent care of her neurosurgeon Dr. Mark Gerber at Straub.  The prayers, concerns and help offered during this trying time by all of our friends and family are deeply appreciated.

Perhaps I will be back with you in a few days if Paula wishes.

Mahalo

Jerry Mayfield, MD

What are they saying?
Leave a comment below.
Paula
March 5th, 2012 at 8:03 am

God bless you both!

Jessica Hoffman
March 5th, 2012 at 11:19 am

Dear Paula,
What a precious soul & beautiful woman you are. I’m so sorry this happened to you and I’m fervently praying for your full health & restoration!! May the Lord make something beautiful out of this. He gives joy for mourning & beauty for ashes… I pray you are sustained through this healing process & may the joy you’ve given out be returned to you 10 times more!! We all love you!!!

Allie
March 5th, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Paula, please take all the time you need to heal and rest. We will be here when you’re ready, no rush 🙂

Thinking of you!

Deena Tearney
March 5th, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the update Jerry and please give Paula our best… she is in our thoughts and prayers. xoxo

Michelle Douglas
March 6th, 2012 at 12:16 am

Thanks Jerry for the update,send Paula my love.
Michelle

Melissa White
March 6th, 2012 at 1:08 am

We so missed your presence on Saturday, and you are constantly in our thoughts! It was so nice of Gerald to come and see us in the midst of all this. We’ll visit once you’re up for it. Much aloha!

Barb Sasaki
March 6th, 2012 at 1:32 am

We are sending you warm aloha and all our best from the Big Island, Paula. You will be missed while on break but take the time you need to heal and rejuvenate.

Morgan Childs
March 6th, 2012 at 2:36 am

Paula, so glad that you are doing better and healing – my thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope you your recovery is speedy!

Carol
March 6th, 2012 at 6:32 am

Paula:
Rest and recover with Jerry at your side. You are in our prayers for a full recovery. Your blog is the first I visit daily but your health is most important.

Alyssa Fung (Fashionista’s Market)
March 6th, 2012 at 7:04 am

sending you lots of love and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Dorothy Douthit
March 6th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thank you, Gerry, for the update on Paula. You are in my prayers as well for a complete recovery. me ke aloha, Dorothy

Sue May
March 7th, 2012 at 2:41 am

Paula,

Got a note from Melissa about your fall! Take time to rest and heal well! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Hope to see you when I visit in the next month.

Sue May (Melissa White’s Mom)

Lois Miller
March 7th, 2012 at 3:39 am

Paula,,,I am so sorry to hear about your accident,,,,but so glad to know you will soon be writing for us again soon,,,,love your blogs,,,,,,aloha, Lois Miller

Joett Colgan
March 8th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Paula;
I just learned of your accident from Roberta. My thoughts and prayers are with you. When you’re up and around and you want to do some water exercise I’m there for you. In the meantime rest, heal and think wonderful thoughts.

sharon serene
March 9th, 2012 at 1:00 am

Jerry, thank you for loving Paula, and for letting us
all know what happened! Paula, rest, take your time and heal well.

Kate Hooven
March 9th, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thanks for letting us know Jerry! Glad to hear she is improving and getting better each day. Cant wait to see her back in action!!!